Through outreach and education programs organized at venues in different communities in the County, homeowners will learn to care for their adopted trees/shrubs. To that end, FTAP provides ongoing free resources, such as mulches, watering bags, kits, and tips, for new and existing tree owners on how to best take care of the trees/shrubs in their yards.
What are the Benefits?
There are numerous benefits in planting trees/shrubs in your yard and joining FTAP:
- Trees/shrubs help to beautify your yard
- Trees/shrubs reduce your energy bills
- Trees/shrubs purify the air that you, your family, and loved ones breath
- Trees/shrubs increase the water quality in your yard/compound
- Trees/shrubs protect the Chesapeake Bay and its rivers in our area
By joining FTAP, you are helping to:
- Build a community of tree lovers and environmentally-conscious citizens in our area
- Build family cohesion by engaging families as units for planting and caring for trees of their own
- Increase the number of native trees/shrubs in our communities thus increasing our County’s tree canopy
- Bring resources worth thousands of dollars to the members of our communities in the form of native trees, shrubs, and ongoing expert resources for tree planting and tree care products
How Does it Work?
- Individuals or families sign-up to receive native trees/shrubs to plant in their yards
- Individuals or families can sign-up via telephone, text message, or online
- Attend a voluntary tree-planting workshop at a center or host family nearest you to learn how to care and protect your newly-adopted trees or shrubs.
- Pick a convenient day for your trees or shrubs to be planted for you for free by FTAP volunteers
- On the scheduled date, FTAP volunteers will deliver your tree(s)/shrubs and provide you with signed adoption documents
- You and FTAP volunteers will take pictures or videos of you planting your trees/shrubs or caring for your trees and text to us
- Your photos are shared on the FTAP community website with others to share in the progress of your trees/shrubs
CLICK HERE TO RESERVE YOUR TREE
The Family Tree Adoption Program (FTAP) is a project of the Global Health and Education Projects, Inc. in collaboration with the Chesapeake Bay Trust, and Prince George’s County Department of the Environment.